Monday, June 8, 2009

"They just fell out of your pocket."

So I tried an acrobatic move against Phil recently (for those of you interested in exactly what I tried to do, it's the headstand/waggle/fall at 0:56 of this Leo Viera video).

I failed.


Phil's about 225 pounds, a blue belt and turtles up real well. I'm about 163 pounds, so I basically went up in the air, waggled a little bit and then WHAM, hit the ground flat on my back. Phil didn't move. I'd done a lot of nothing without anything getting done.

What's more is that Phil, Victor and the others who were watching knew precisely what I was trying to do, who had made the move famous and had probably seen the exact video I'd seen.

So once I scrambled and managed to regain Phil's back, I look over and saw Victor laughing quietly. I look down and I saw Phil cracking a smile. I look to my right and I see Bryan looking at me with a "That was funny" expression on his face.

I don't mind failing, even on the "larger stage" the mat offers. So I smiled too and got back into it. There was no taking off of the shoes, one sock or crying going on here.

I tried it again with a lighter opponent again later. I got the turn and hooks in, but I didn't have the audience watching this time. So only you, dear readers, know about this success.

I love this sport and it's completely distracting me from the original purpose of this place. I even scoot out of bed these days on instinct. More on the Nepali side of things to come soon.

Enjoy the summer days and summer nights!



No comments: